Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Little Lamb


     I'm awaken at 4 this morning by the soft whisper and warm breath of my 3 1/2 year old.  I'm startled at first as I opened my eyes to this little person, concerned look on her face, standing before me in her soft, polka dot sleeper.  "I can't find my lamb Daddy."  "Let's go look.  I'll find it for you," as I stumbled out of bed and followed down the hall.  

     There it was right under her bed where it fell.  (She had made a point to tell me earlier as I said good night that tonight she was going to snuggle her little lamb.)  Now, as I handed her this tiny stuffed animal she looked up at me, "Thanks", she whispered as I tucked her in.  "Night, Daddy... don't let the bed bugs bite."  She smiled and closed her eyes.  
     As I walked out of her room, down the hall and back to bed the parable of the lost sheep came to mind.  Jesus tells the story of the shepherd who had a hundred sheep and one of them got lost.  He says when that happened, didn't the shepherd leave the ninety-nine and go look for the one.  And when he found it, he returned and rejoiced.  Jesus goes on to tell us that that is how God looks on us when we who are lost come to Him.  
     Even in the middle of the night, startled out of a sound sleep, how could I as a father not respond to my little girl who's little lamb was missing.  In the same way, our heavenly Father is ready to respond.  All He is waiting for is for us to come to Him and share our concerns and burdens.  
     As my head hit the pillow, I smiled to myself as I thought of how much comfort I brought my child.  God wants to do the same for each one of us if we'll let Him.   I hope that thought comforts you today.
   

No comments: